Guardian Visa

International students studying in Australia on a student visa may require a guardian if they are under 18 years of age. There may also be exceptional circumstances where a student over 18 years of age may need a guardian for religious or cultural reasons.

The Student Guardian visa is for foreign nationals applying to stay in Australia as the guardian of a student who is studying in Australia.

If you are granted this visa, you can:

  • live in Australia for the same length of time as the student for whom you are guardian, or until the student turns 18 years of age
  • bring dependent children with you to Australia, but only if they are under six years of age and meet specific eligibility requirements
  • study in Australia for up to three months. If you lodged your application on or after 24 March 2012, you have unlimited part-time study rights for English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS) study only, (this means that you may study any ELICOS courses less than 20 hours per week for the duration of your visa).
    Note: If you intend to study any course other than ELICOS for more than 3 months, you must apply for a student visa.

In Guardian Visa, you cannot bring other family members to Australia and you cannot apply for permission to work.